Saturday, November 8, 2008
Let America Be America Again
This poem by African-American writer Langston Hughes has great resonance during this political season.
Let America Be America Again
by Langston Hughes
Let America be America again.
Let it be the dream it used to be.
Let it be the pioneer on the plain
Seeking a home where he himself is free.
(America never was America to me.)
Let America be the dream the dreamers dreamed--
Let it be that great strong land of love
Where never kings connive nor tyrants scheme
That any man be crushed by one above.
(It never was America to me.)
O, let my land be a land where Liberty
Is crowned with no false patriotic wreath,
But opportunity is real, and life is free,
Equality is in the air we breathe.
(There's never been equality for me,
Nor freedom in this "homeland of the free.")
Say, who are you that mumbles in the dark?
And who are you that draws your veil across the stars?
I am the poor white, fooled and pushed apart,
I am the Negro bearing slavery's scars.
I am the red man driven from the land,
I am the immigrant clutching the hope I seek--
And finding only the same old stupid plan
Of dog eat dog, of mighty crush the weak.
I am the young man, full of strength and hope,
Tangled in that ancient endless chain
Of profit, power, gain, of grab the land!
Of grab the gold! Of grab the ways of satisfying need!
Of work the men! Of take the pay!
Of owning everything for one's own greed!
I am the farmer, bondsman to the soil.
I am the worker sold to the machine.
I am the Negro, servant to you all.
I am the people, humble, hungry, mean--
Hungry yet today despite the dream.
Beaten yet today--O, Pioneers!
I am the man who never got ahead,
The poorest worker bartered through the years.
Yet I'm the one who dreamt our basic dream
In the Old World while still a serf of kings,
Who dreamt a dream so strong, so brave, so true,
That even yet its mighty daring sings
In every brick a nd stone, in every furrow turned
That's made America the land it has become.
O, I'm the man who sailed those early seas
In search of what I meant to be my home--
For I'm the one who left dark Ireland's shore,
And Poland's plain, and England's grassy lea,
And torn from Black Africa's strand I came
To build a "homeland of the free."
Who said the free? Not me?
Surely not me? The millions on relief today?
The millions shot down when we strike?
The millions who have nothing for our pay?
For all the dreams we've dreamed
And all the songs we've sung
And all the hopes we've held
And all the flags we've hung,
The millions who have nothing for our pay--
Except the dream that's almost dead today.
O, let America be America again--
The land that never has been yet--
And yet must be--the land where every man is free.
The land that's mine--the poor man's, Indian's, Negro's, ME--
Who made America,
Whose sweat and blood, whose faith and pain,
Whose hand at the foundry, whose plow in the rain,
Must bring back our mighty dream again.
Sure, call me any ugly name you choose--
The steel of freedom does not stain.
From those who live like leeches on the people's lives,
We must take back our land again,
I say it plain,
America never was America to me,
And yet I swear this oath--
America will be!
Out of the rack and ruin of our gangster death,
The rape and rot of graft, and stealth, and lies,
We, the people, must redeem
The land, the mines, the plants, the rivers.
The mountains and the endless plain--
All, all the stretch of these great green states--
And make America again!
- ► 2011 (31)
- ► 2010 (58)
- ► 2009 (207)
- Join the Debate on Healthcare
- Obama Announces Economic Team (Video)
- Obama's "Change" Threatens Regimes
- Can Hillary Fight for Women Worldwide?
- Obama Cool
- Obama Prepares for Debate (Everything He Couldn't ...
- Redefining Patriotism
- How Much Do You Know about Your Government?
- First Policy Priority: Healthcare
- The War Obama Is Inheriting
- Geithner Tapped for Treasury Secretary
- Barack Obama Elementary School
- Obama Announces Plan to Create 2.5 Million Jobs
- Obama to Establish Office of Urban Policy
- Hillary Clinton Will Accept Offer of Secretary of ...
- The "O" in Obama
- DC to Ease Property Rental Rules for Inauguration
- Obama's Win Causes Supporters to See Emptiness of ...
- Obama's Cell Phone Records Breached
- Palin Interviews While Turkey Dies
- Couric: Palin Clearly Struggling
- Want to Know More about the Transition Process?
- Daschele to Head Healthcare
- Napolitano to Head Homeland Security
- Bill Clinton Agrees to Vetting Process
- Economist: GOP = "Party of Stupid"
- Obama Election is "Sin Against the Lord"
- Barack Oblogger's Shopping Picks
- Obama Energy and Environment Policy Team
- Al Qaeda Calls Obama "House Negro"
- Obama to Push Green Policies for U.S.
- DNC Commemorative Book: Obama's Mile High Moment
- Weekly Address: Obama on the Economic Crisis
- Obama Bling
- Dick Cavett: The Wild Wordsmith of Wasilla
- Gingrich: GOP Outmatched
- Obama to Provide Weekly Youtube Talks
- O'Reilly on "Daily Show"
- Put Pressure on Obama to Close Guantanamo
- Spoof NY Times Front Page
- The Power of Change DVD
- 40 Acres: A Poem for Obama
- Baroque Obama
- Barack O'Bama
- Honoring Veterans
- Transition Team Sets New Ethics Rules
- Beyond the Fat Cats
- Fox News Interview with Sarah Palin
- David Brooks: Republicans in a "World of Pain"
- Election Night, 2008
- David Letterman: Top 10 Revelations About Sarah Pa...
- Obama's Transition Team Plan
- Barack Obama's Radio Address
- How Barack Obama Tapped Into the Power of Social N...
- The Black Butler Who Served the White House
- Oblogger in London
- What Does the Chief of Staff Do?
- WSJ on Emanuel Pick
- Barack Obama Countdown Clock
- Barack Obama: "Titan of Industry"?
- will.i.am: "It's a New Day"
- Let America Be America Again
- The New Website of President-Elect Barack Obama
- How Obama Rewrote the Book
- Make Your Own Obama Logo
- Obama Wallpaper and Downloads
- Condoleezza Rice Proud of Barack Obama
- Colin Powell Wept at Obama Victory
- 106-Year-Old Obama Supporter
- Ron Clark Academy Responds to Election
- What's Next for MYBO?
- 71 Million Watched Election Night Coverage
- How He Did It
- Barack Obama's Acceptance Speech
- The Way Forward
- Yes We Did!
- Vote Today
- My Wife Made Me Canvass for Obama: Here's What I L...
- Stay. In. The. Line.
- One Million Calls Made This Weekend
- 99.98 Percent Chance Obama the Winner!
- Don't Speak for Me Sarah Palin: The Musical
- "I Voted" Sticker
- Big Oil Thrives, Middle Class Struggles
- ▼ November (87)