Truth be told, I was too young to remember Bobby Kennedy's campaign or MLK or Malcolm or JFK.
But a lot of people older than me who I have worked with on the Obama campaign have talked to me about 1968 and what Bobby Kennedy's candidacy meant to them.
One Obama supporter told me that was the year she shut down from politics, deciding that she could not handle the heartache. It was then that a cynicism about the political process took root in her and she "turned her face to the wall" and vowed never to care so much again.
Another fellow told me about the hope and inspiration he felt working on the Obama campaign, and his experience as a young volunteer on Bobby Kennedy's campaign.
It was then that he broke into tears and described the moment he saw Bobby riding by in his campaign convertible, touring through a crowded Los Angeles street.
He couldn't finish his sentence.
What I've learned from them is that something got lost in the 1960s. Something new and fresh and idealistic.
And for these people, who are now in their 50s and 60s, the Obama campaign symbolizes the opportunity to finish what got truncated. To close the circle, so to speak.
So, in remembrance of 1968, here is a slideshow of Bobby Kennedy's campaign from Vanity Fair, called "The Heartbreak Campaign" and an interview with the busboy Juan Romero, who was with RFK in his last moments.
- ► 2011 (31)
- ► 2010 (58)
- ► 2009 (207)
- No Drama. Vote Obama?
- Barack Obama on Veteran Suicide Rate
- Pelosi Prepared to Step in to Stop Convention Figh...
- Barack Wonks It up on Education
- Is It True about Barack Obama?
- Vote for Change
- Barack's Plan for the Housing Crisis
- Obama: Mensaje a Puerto Rico
- Meeting Michelle Obama Today
- Barack Speaks at B'nai Torah Congregation in Boca ...
- Barack en Puerto Rico!
- Veteran's Townhall in Puerto Rico
- Obama's Wesleyan Commencement Speech
- Honoring Our Veterans
- Obama: Limbaugh and Dobbs Responsible for Increase...
- New LA Times Poll Results: Hillary Stands Good Cha...
- Clinton Raises Spectre of Bobby Kennedy Assassinat...
- Clinton to Wage Convention Battle?
- Many Kentucky Voters Think Obama Is Muslim
- Key Clinton Constituencies Moving Toward Obama
- Obama in Negotiations to Run DNC
- Obama Hits McCain on Lobbyists
- Obama in Kissimmee, Florida
- United Mine Workers Endorses Obama
- Goofy: Parrot Loves Barack Obama
- McCain Backer Hagee Says Hitler Was "Fulfilling Go...
- Hillary Supporters Willing to Cut off Their Noses ...
- Barack's Victory Speech in Iowa
- From Barack: What We Have Just Achieved
- Barack's Statement on Sen Ted Kennedy
- Barack Takes Oregon!
- GOP Fails to Attract Minorities
- Barack Adopted into the Crow Nation
- Obama Tells GOP to Leave His Wife Alone
- Obama to Challenge Murdochization of Media
- Barack's Plan for Social Security
- 15 Whitest States in America
- 75,000 at Portland Rally
- Michelle Obama en Puerto Rico!
- SNL: There Can Only Be One
- The Death Rattle of the Republican Party
- Obama Effect: Energized Black Voters Could Overtur...
- Postmortem: What Went Wrong in Hillaryland?
- Huckabee Makes "Joke" about Obama Getting Shot
- Obama Responds to Bush McCain Attacks
- John McCain's Flipflop on NRA
- You Know You Want To
- John McCain's Murderers' Row
- Time for McCain's Free Ride to End
- McCain in Favor of Negotiating with Hamas
- Tennessee GOP Attacks Michelle Obama
- Hillary As Ex-Candidate
- Daily Show Riffs on West Virginia Primary
- Pat Buchanan in Racist, Paranoid Meltdown
- Chris Matthews Stumps Right-Wing Radio Host
- Racism in West Virginia
- GOP "Southern Strategy" Dying?
- Bush Compares Obama to Nazi Appeasers
- Barack Obama on Human Rights and Africa
- Racist Anti-Obama Gear
- John Edwards Endorses Barack Obama
- Let the Smear Campaign Begin!
- Obama Unveils Manufacturing Agenda
- Message from Barack on Edwards' Endorsement
- John Edwards to Endorse Barack Obama!
- Bloggers Unite for Human Rights
- West Virginia Turnout "Average"
- Democrats Abroad Chair Endorses Obama
- Native American Endorsements
- Is West Virginia Welcome in the Democratic Party?
- Liveblogging the Convention
- Be an Obama Organizing Fellow
- Barack Obama on Serving Our Veterans
- Vote for Change
- SNL Skewers Clinton: "My Supporters Are Racist"
- Obama Polling Well With Jewish Voters
- Great McCain Source
- Top Vice Presidential Choices
- Barack Would Win California
- Barack Obama on America's Relationship with Israel...
- CA Superdelegate Wants $20 Million
- Clinton Campaign Didn't Understand Democratic Prim...
- Cindy McCain Will Never Release Tax Returns
- Clinton Plays Race Card
- Tom Daschle Radio Ads to Air in South Dakota
- Andrew Sullivan: Black Voters Did It
- Barack's North Carolina Speech
- Memo from David Plouffe
- A Wise Investment
- Hillary Loans Herself $6 Million... Again
- Hillary Asks Supporters for Cash in Tonight's Spee...
- MSNBC's Rachel Maddow Nails It
- Tim Russert: We Now Know Who Our Nominee Is
- Clinton Cancels All Media Appearances
- Waiting for Lake Forest County Returns
- Lou Dobbs Dumbfounded
- GOP in Election Panic
- North Carolina Win
- Obama Wins NC
- Tom Hanks Endorses Barack Obama
- NYT Special Primary Edition
- Wiki for Obama Delegates
- New Barack Oblogger Message Boards
- Barack Makes Final Pitch to NC Voters
- More than 200 Economists Denounce Clinton/McCain G...
- Black Ministers Show Support for Obama
- Clinton Gas Tax Plan Crass Ploy for Votes
- Hoosiers Switch to Obama
- Jews for Obama
- Blogged.com is Grooving on the Oblogger
- Rev. Wright Overkill
- New Obama Message Board
- The Empire Strikes Barack
- Barack Gives Top 10 on Letterman
- Obama Links Broad Ideas to Economic Specifics
- The Gas Guzzler Gambit
- Michelle and Barack on the Today Show
- Former Democratic Leader Switches to Obama
- Obama Right on Effect of Gas Tax Holiday
- ▼ May (120)